Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Presidential Problems

Today in my Polysci class, we talked about the tension between civil liberty and national security. Issues such as the Patriot Act, and Japanese internment camps of World War II were brought up. I tend to think national security is more important. The Bush administration/Patriot Act get a lot of flack, but they must be doing something right if we haven't had another terrorist attack on US soil after 9/11. I am willing to give up some civil liberty if in turn I can feel/be safer, especially in a time of war. Besides, I have nothing to hide.

Today in class, I also found out I have an essay midterm next class, and a paper due the class after that. This is all a bit overwhelming, as these two things haven't been talked about much. The paper is about Fred Thompson, the person I have to 'become' in the class. Unfortunately, he dropped out of the race yesterday. The teacher said I still can/have to be him in our class debates, and election stuff. It is kind of hard to imagine myself being Fred Thompson, but it will have to happen.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Oddly enough I learned more in this class than in any other I have ever taken. But I was forced to withdraw. Don't let the (wo)MAN hold you down.