Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Lost Locke Leader

Today, I was part of a group of three people that had to lead an hour long discussion in my Political Science class. Now, it was not my choice to be in this group. I was basically volun-told by the professor to be in the presenters group. I am not sure how the professor picked me out of the entire class to be with the other two who volunteered to present. But I guess I had to present eventually, so I might as well get it over with. The part I was less happy about was the fact that after class, the two other people in my group disappeared. This meant we had to present next class with no plan, or at least no group plan.

The topic was Two Treatises of Government written by John Locke in the 1600's. In case you were wondering, John Locke of Lost was named after this guy. I thought this would be interesting to share with the class, so I prepared a quite extensive and interesting speech about how the two were similar. The only problem, when I asked how many people had heard of or watched Lost, only three hands went up, and that is out of almost 30 classmates! I was shocked, disappointed, and at a loss of words. Quite literally, I had a whole speech to give about how this piece was related to Lost, but I quickly had to scrap that. Thankfully, my teacher was one out of the three hands that were raised. At least she knew what I was trying to talk about.

Overall, the presentation was okay. I guess I learned a few good lessons. One, the United States Constitution was formed after the revolutionary ideas of John Locke. Two, groups need to work together. And three, if you plan a speech around Lost, your audience may be lost.

No comments: