Thursday, August 30, 2007

Good. Good. Good. STOP!

Tonight, my uncle agreed to take my sister driving. She just got her permit a few days ago, and has been begging for all the driving time she can get since. It was late, we had just been treated to a fabulous dinner by my uncle. The cousins asked if they could ride in the car with Sarah, and the answer was a definite no from the moms. It was her third time driving. She was going to drive three times around our neighborhood.

After her last lap, we all came out to the porch to watch her turn into the driveway. She was doing a good job trying to avoid the car parked next to her spot. She pulled quite nicely into the driveway, and was coasting to a nice stop. My dad was sitting in a chair next to me. He was about to say we should all clap for Sarah. That's when it happened.

Sarah stepped on the gas, and was racing towards the garage. My dad jumped out of his chair and looked like he was going to run over to the car. What he was planning to do when he got there, I'll never know. But as quickly as she had accelerated, she stomped on the brake. The car came to a jarring halt. It was quite entertaining. Before the car adventure, everyone had been quite lackadaisical from all the good food. This was just the boost of adrenaline everyone needed. Thanks for jump starting the party again Sarah.

We've all had those early driving experiences, it happens to the best of us. I still remember my first driving experience. I was around 14, and we were out at the family lake property. My dad decided he would give in to my begging and let my drive his stick shift truck. I was doing okay until I let off the brake. I didn't expect the car to start moving on it's own. In an attempt to find the brake, I stepped on the gas. I mean, there are three pedals to choose from, how was I supposed to know which to use? As the fence and tree came closer, I was finally able to bring the truck to a screeching halt. After that experience, I'm surprised my dad ever let me drive again. The moral of this story: we all make mistakes when we first start driving. It just usually doesn't happen in front of a crowd of people.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I wonder if my grandpa remembers how I almost hit their barn years ago?

Anonymous said...

Danny, Sorry we missed all the excitement. We just left too early! That garage door has quite a history, huh?
Grandma

Anonymous said...

come on...i had everything undercontrol.

-sarah[the driver]