Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bleacher Seat: $7, Youth Ferry Ticket: $5.40, Lemon-Lime Snowcone: $4.75, Sister's First Game: Priceless

Today, my family went on a Seattle adventure. My father took us four "kids" to today's Mariners game. It was a 1:35 game against the Minnesota Twins.

Our adventure started at a little past 8am this morning when we tried to wake everyone up to get ready for the big day. We caught the 10:15 ferry from Bremerton to Seattle. It was fun riding on the front of the ferry and looking for jellyfish. We got to the stadium at 11:35, right when the front gates opened. I had wanted to get there early to try to get autographs and a baseball. Being an early game, they unfortunately didn't have batting practice. There went my plan for getting a ball.

It was camp day, so campers could walk across the warning track on the field. My youngest sister and I went to the camper line and were ready to pretend like we were with one of the camp groups, but it never came to that. We got to walk on the field, well not the grass part. It was amazing. I pretended to catch a home run up against the outfield wall.

After that, my sister and I returned to the line waiting for autographs. It was my sister's first game, and she really wanted to get an autograph. She got her first autograph from a starting pitcher named Miguel Batista. She was one of the last people to get something signed. A nice man had helped her by reaching her hat out so it would reach the player. I finally made it to the front of the mob and reached the baseball I wanted autographed right in front of him. He said he had to go and didn't sign my ball. Oh well, at least my sister was able to get her autograph.

Next, we went to our seats. They were the cheapest ones, up in the center field bleachers. They were nice seats though. We were all entertained by the "nemo man" right in front of us who would girate in a fish like motion whenever the music played. And the music played a lot. After a few innings, my youngest sister and I decided to go explore the stadium and find some shade. We found a seat by the right field foul pole that was unoccupied, so we decided to sit in it. We were hoping to catch a ball, but none ever came our way. It was an exciting game, well at least until the other team got a grand slam in the 9th inning to take a 6-1 lead. After the game, we rode the ferry back home. The trip was a blast. I enjoyed being there for my sister's first Mariner's game. Hopefully next time, she will be able to distinguish the Mariners from the other team.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Sister's first game would not have been so precious if she did not have a big brother taking such good care of her!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fun day. We took Jake to the Mariner's game when he was about Gabbys age. We were there a little early. After while, he said; "Boy that was great. Is it time to go now?" The game hadn't started!
Grandma

Anonymous said...

I fell asleep for part of the game sitting on a seat by an exit. People stared, apparently.