Monday, August 13, 2007

Game On

Yesterday, it was time for me to get my game on. It was the third annual Lofthus Pickleball Tournament. The first year of the tournament, I got second place. Last year, I got third place. Seeing as I play pickleball so much, I thought this might finally be my year for glory, for honor, and to bring home the trophy. My cousins came up from Oregon for a last minute tournament. After a brief rain delay, it was time. My partner and I won our first game. But the next game, with a new partner, we lost. I had to win the next game, or I wasn't going to be in the finals. In this do or die game, we were down 10 to 5 in a game to 11. I left my all out on the court and ended up winning that game to make it to the finals.

I thought maybe, just maybe, this was my year. I played as hard as I could, I yelled with a passion on every shot. The games were intense. I ended up tied for second. My cousin, the star tennis/basketball player, won for the second year in a row. I was disappointed for a while, but my love for pickleball quickly overcame the pain of the loss. I still haven't won the trophy, but at least it's still in the family. Next year, I plan to do some intense pickleball training so I can finally win the tournament. Corey, you've been warned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Danny. I really thought, or maybe hoped, this would be your year. What I appreciated is how graciously you accepted second place. Next year!
Grandma