Wednesday, February 13, 2008

War Against the Machines

Today I waged war against the machines. It seemed computers were out to get me today. My scholarship notebook was due, I finished almost everything last night. But when I tried to print, it didn’t want to print in color. Thankfully, my mom was able to get them to print in color while I was gone at school.

I then had another page I had to finish. It was a form I downloaded from the school website. The info in it had to be typed, but the document I had to fill out really didn’t want me to type in it. I eventually figured it out, and thankfully I didn’t have to insert, format, and place 50 textboxes like I first thought. I finally had the notebook all done.

I went to a copy store to get a copy of my letters of recommendation, those are always good things to have a copy of handy. I swear I pressed the copy button once. Yet, the machine kept cranking out copy after copy of my letter. I think it printed near 50 by the time I figured out how to shut the thing off. Thankfully, it was a black and white four cent Wednesday copy, not the over a dollar color copy I made for my other letters of recommendation. The lady was nice, she blamed me, but at least she only charged us a quarter.

I then turned in the notebook at 2:30pm, half an hour to spare! I am really happy with how it turned out. I put a lot of time and energy into it, and hopefully it pays off. Literally, as in hopefully I win some scholarships with it.

I thought my problems with machines was finally over. I had a paper I was typing up for a class. Rather idiotically, I was typing it in an email so I could email it from the laptop to the computer with a printer. For some random reason, the laptop decided it needed to “update”. So it shut down and I lost the work. I was almost done with the paper until it disappeared. I had spent 45 minutes on it, so it took almost that long to rewrite it. In other words, I lost around an hour and a half. But I did get the paper done. I think I am done writing and fighting for tonight.

No comments: