Sunday, February 10, 2008

Jolting Janitorial Job

Today I fulfilled my weekend janitorial duties. Yesterday, my sister and I cleaned the school, that left the office building for today. My sister has been sick, so she was low on energy and had a lot of homework to catch up on. We decided it made the most sense for me to clean it by myself.

I have had this job, the office building cleaning job, for nearly two years. First my brother and I cleaned it, then it was my dad and me, now my sister and I clean it. And in those two years, I have never cleaned the building by myself.

I got to the building, and it was already dark outside. This building is rather old, it was originally built to be a hospital. Now it has a dentistry wing, and lots of other offices. It also has lots of doors to nowhere, lights switches that don't work, and long hallways. That being said, it can kind of be a spooky place to be all by yourself.

I thought I would be fine. I brought my iPod, and decided I would just listen to some music, and it would all be fine. I started to clean and then I started to worry. Here I was in this big office building, by myself, it was night time, and I kept hearing strange noises. Sounds are natural in any space, but with all the hallways and such, sound echoes strangely.

I was sweeping, but at the same time at the ready. For what, I am not sure. But I was ready to use my broom as a weapon. I got spooked by a loud noise, I couldn't tell if it was from my music or not. I turned the music off and clutched the broom in one hand. I went around the halls ready to beat anything that moved with my broom.

It is probably a good thing nobody who works in that building was there, because I probably would have attacked them with the broom, mop, or toilet scrubber if they came anywhere near me. I think the mop and broom would have made adequate weapons, but unless the person was germophobic, I don't think the toilet scrubber would have done much good. In the end, I didn't really have anything to worry about. It was still a little bit spooky though. The only good that came out of being so worried was I cleaned about twice as fast as I usually do, I really wanted to to get it over with and get out of there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, as long as it was Monk attacking you, the toilet scrubber would have worked great!

Glad you scared off all the monsters generally found in office buildings at night and managed to survive.