Thursday, February 14, 2008

Janitor Swept Away

Today was a sad day. When I woke up this morning, I went to see our pet rat. It was sprawled out in the middle of the cage. I figured it was just really tired. It had just figured out how to use it's wheel the night before. It ran on the wheel for a long time. I really enjoyed watching it run, it was kind of inspiring for me to get back on the wheel so to speak. So this morning, I was not surprised to see it sprawled out. I was surprised, when it didn't climb up the side of the cage to greet me when I went by the cage.

The rat was in obvious pain. It was barely breathing, and couldn't move. It was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. By the time I got back from school, Janitor was dead. I hate to think the wheel had something to do with it. Maybe she ran herself to death. The only possibilities I can think of are that she had a heart attack, broke a leg, or most likely, broke her back.

I had really grown fond of our new pet. She was so cute, and fun to watch. She would absolutely go crazy for Cheerios. She would run around her cage, climb up the bar walls, and stick her hand out a try and grab the Cheerios. I liked having her crawl around on my shoulder, she was just getting to the point where she actually seemed to want to be held.

My little sister and I buried her in the backyard. We built a little cross, and stuck it at her grave. Janitor, although you will probably be replaced soon by another rat, you will never be forgotten. I don't think any rat could be as cool of a pet as you were for the few short weeks we had together on this world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry to hear about Janitor! He sounded like a really neat pet. My older daughter had a pet rat when she was young and it was really quite friendly.
We all send our condolences- especialy to Gabby.
The Nerby's

Anonymous said...

Danny, So sorry to hear about Janitor. Sounds like she really worked her way into your hearts. I remember when you were around 5 and your pet hamster died and you burried it and said "I hate it when one of God's creature dies."
G-ma