Saturday, September 1, 2007

Heat Wave Goodbye to Shelton

Yesterday, on a last second whim, I joined my cousins on their return trip to LA. We left Olympia at 7pm after a nice meal at Costco with my family. It was a very long car ride, in all the trip took 19 hours. During the ride, I tried to get some sleep, but could only sleep for around 30 minutes at a time. We reached a long stretch before LA that is especially flat and desolate. We played a game where we looked for exciting stuff, but we really couldn't find any. I mean there was nothing, nothing at all.

After my first step in California, I wasn't sure if I would be able to make another one, quite literally. The parking lot we parked in was really sticky for some strange reason, and your shoes would stick to the pavement. When we finally arrived in LA, a heat wave was waiting for us. It was 113 degrees where I am staying. That was way different from the rain that was predicted for Shelton when I left.

We tried to stay cool, but the house was really hot. We went to Souplantation for dinner. It was so good, almost too good. It is an all you can eat buffet, and I planned to eat all that I could. I reached a point where I could play it safe and stop eating, or risk it and keep stuffing myself. I showed restraint, mainly because I didn't want to pull a Harrison (inside joke). We stayed in the cool air conditioned restaurant as long as we could. After stopping at the store for some groceries, we went to my home away from home. As I sit to write this at 7:30, it is probably 95 degrees on the house. I am now going to try and get some sleep, but it is really hot. LA is sure a lot different than Shelton, about 30 degrees different.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

too bad i am not old enough too remember that event. i hear it was an adventure

Mary said...

Your dad wouldn't be able to paint in that weather! Stay cool and hydrated! Have you been watching Wheel of Fortune? That's a good "before and after" title.

Mom

AJ said...

well danny I hope you having fun in the sun.