Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wardrobe Malfunction

Today I had my first scholarship interview. I was happy to finally make it to the interview stage, but nervous about how the interview would go. Little did I know that my worst nightmares (or best one?) would come true.

With the interview being at 12:20pm, I wasn't able to make it to my classes today. I talked to the professors, and I don't think I missed anything major. I will found out whether that was the case tomorrow.

Things got bad when I started getting ready. First, my pants zipper wasn't working correctly. Then, our truck wouldn't start. By this time, I was really pushing it to get to the interview on time. A gracious neighbor gave me a ride.

When I got to the high school, it was lunch time. This meant there were people everywhere. I was speed walking to the interview, dressed abnormally, and afraid my zipper wasn't working. As I approached the office, someone started yelling, I think at me, that I was wearing girl shoes. I can tell them for a fact that they are in fact men's shoes, but I didn't have the time.

I went in to the interview still in a panic. I was late, rushed, wearing 'girl shoes', my zipper wasn't working, and I was totally unprepared for their questions. The first of which, "how is the weather outside?" Isn't this a normal icebreaker? I was in such a rush to get there on time, I had no clue what the weather was like. I think that is what I said, that I didn't know. What a way to start out an interview, not knowing what the weather is like outside.

About 10 minutes into the interview, I was able to pull it together. It was finished in about 12 minutes. By the end I was able to articulate my responses to their questions. I wish I would have at least thought about what I might say to some basic questions before I got to the interview so I didn't have to think of a response and say it at the same time.

After it was over, I had to walk home. While things didn't go as planned, I think it went fairly well. Above all it was good practice for the other two interviews I have, hopefully things go a little bit better on the next ones.

2 comments:

Nate said...

that, that right there...


sucks

AJ said...

You know danny(and Nate) Central plays Western this year in football, you guys should totally come down for the game.

Wildcats vs Vikings. Nature vs. Anti-nature.

Sounds like a good fight.

but it does suck that your first interview sucked.