Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Big No Know

Today I had my final scholarship interview. It turns out, it was scheduled for yesterday, but I thought I was told today. I was called last night, and had it rescheduled for 20 minutes later than I thought it was really scheduled for.

The interview was going along okay. There were three interviewers, and four separate interviews going on at a time, all in separate rooms for semi-obvious reasons. Looking at my transcript, one interviewer asked who my teacher was for one class. After a bit too long of a pause, I was able to think of the first name, and eventually the last name. The interviewer had connections to this person, thankfully I had been able to remember my own teacher's name.

Then it happened. No, I didn't have the wardrobe malfunction I have been worrying about. I was asked about my Microeconomics class.

Here is the conversation as best I can remember, although I am already trying to forget it. "Did you enjoy your Microeconomics class?" I replied something along the lines of yes. "What does one study in microeconomics?" I was having trouble answering. "Alright, what is the difference between Macro and Micro Economics?" I mumbled a bit of incoherent nonsensical things, I didn't even know what I was trying to say. In a further effort to help me out, "What did you study in Microeconomics?" For the life of me, I couldn't think of anything. "You had this class Winter Quarter (the one that just ended!)."

I blanked, the question just hit me out of the blue. I was still trying to think about the difference between Macro and Micro Economics. I tried to blame it on the fact it was a hybrid class, half online. It was embarrassing. Here I am, trying to portray myself as someone worth giving a scholarship to, and I can't even think of one thing I learned in my Economics class I took last quarter.

After they realized they were losing me, they changed the subject. After that, I did better. About 3 minutes after 'the incident', I finally remembered what I had learned in Economics: about monopolies, oligopolies, perfectly competitive markets, monopolistically competitive markets, etc. Not to mention supply and demand! I felt like asking if I could redeem myself, but thought it might not be good to bring up that subject again.

It was embarrassing, but hilarious. I was cracking up the entire drive home thinking about how stupid I had sounded. I had just frozen up, and once I got in a rut, I couldn't work my way out of it. The longer I thought, the more I was remembering about my Economics class. Needless to say, I don't really expect to hear back from that scholarship.

No comments: