Sunday, October 14, 2007

Toying with the Shoppe

Today, I restrained from one of my greatest passion and worst enemy. The Toy Shoppe. You know, those machines with the claws that grab the stuffed animals. I love them, yet at the same time, despise them.

For years, I have been addicted to the Toy Shoppe. I won a lot, yet tried a lot too. It was costing me, and/or my parents, a lot of money. Yet, I couldn't stop. I needed to win those cheap little stuffed animals. I would never pass the Toy Shoppe without feeding my desire a dollar or two, never more than that. Well, usually not more than two dollars.

Slowly, I began to despise the thing I had so dearly loved. I won in less frequent intervals, my strategy and planning no longer worked. It was as if the machine had beat me into submission, yet try as I might, I couldn't stop fueling my addiction. Until one day, I stopped, I no longer felt the need to use the machine.

Yes, I still dream and remember the glory days when I walk past the machines. But I no longer let them rule my life. Today, I walked to the Toy Shoppe, my intent was to try it just one more time. The claw was calling me, beckoning me back. My eyes fell on the perfectly placed turtle stuffed animal, an easy target. I was about to put 2 quarters in the machine when I stopped. Was it really worth it? No, take back those quarters! Resist the evil that is the Toy Shoppe. Today marked the end of a long bout with the machine and my own inner monsters, this time, I really won.

9 comments:

Mary said...

I'm proud of you, Dan!

Anonymous said...

you little liar. i was there. you didn't resist anything, the machine was broken.

AJ said...

poor danny ratted out by a sister

Danny said...

Well, Sarah you never cease to amaze. You were with me, there was no sign on the toy shoppe saying it was broken. How do you know it was broken? I mean just because the claw was hanging upside down, and the numbers on the little screen were wrong, I mean still. It could have worked.

Anonymous said...

the claw was also mangled and twisted.

Danny said...

so are you.

Anonymous said...

why, thank you.

Danny said...

Sarah, I wish to recant my previous statement.

Anonymous said...

what's said is said, there's no turning back.