Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Go Golfing Go

Today was my father and my semi tri-annual day out at the golf course. Why is it tri-annual? I'm not exactly sure, that is just how it works out. It was glorious. Nearly perfect weather, the smell of rotting fish in the air, birds flocking above, the green waterer guy on the tractorish apparatus waiting for us to finish, yes, it was perfect.

Nobody was in front of us to slow us down. Actually, more like there was nobody behind us to pressure us. Who cared if we took a mulligan or two, or every once in a while, three. Yes, it was splendid. I even got par on a hole for the first time in my life I think. Well, perhaps technically it wasn't par, but it my mind, it was.

It was a par three. You tee off from a little bluff above a stream. My firs shot cleared the stream, but sliced vicsiously to the right. I took another shot, a mulligan some might say. Oh no, it wasn't even going to clear the stream! But wait. Somehow, almost miraculously, it hit an unseen object down the "cliff" and bounced almost onto the green. I tapped the ball within 5 feet for my unofficial second shot, and tapped it in for par. Glorious.

I also finally got to try out my "new" golf club on a course I got about 1/2 a year ago as a gift from my dad. It worked really well, or maybe it only worked well because of its master. I prefer to think the latter of the two. I only lost 5 balls today, I am not sure if it is a new record on the high or low end. Actually, I found one ball, so it is more like I lost 4. And they weren't truly "lost", I could have probably maybe found them if I felt like it. Basically, it was my best golfing day ever. I can't wait until I go again. Well, actually I have to, it will probably be many a month before I ever hit the links again.

No comments: