Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Just yesterday, I wrote about riding my bike again. Today, that new fad's glamour quickly faded. I went to pickle ball this morning, and had a great idea about how to get home. I would ride my bike home. So my father gave me a ride to pickle ball and dropped me and my bike off. Pickle ball was fun today, and I was really excited to ride my bike home. I was about halfway home when it happened.

Most of the ride had been uphill, I had just gotten to the flat stretch and decided to go semi-fast. I was going with traffic because there were no sidewalks. My pickle ball paddle was in a bag on my handlebars. When I had started to peddle harder, the bag was swinging and getting in my way. As I tried to grab the bag, it somehow jammed into the handlebar and tire. Simultaneously, my bike stopped moving, but I didn't. I flew over the handlebars, did a sideways flip, hit the pavement and rolled. Basically, my bike stopped, I dropped and then rolled. It must have looked bad because traffic stopped on both sides, or maybe they stopped so they wouldn't run me over. I was very appreciative of the lady who stopped her car and made sure I was okay, and that I could get home.

Thankfully, I only had a scrape on the knee, and a sore wrist. I was able to bend the bike back to where I was able to ride it home. It could have been a lot worse. I didn't get hurt too bad, my bike is fixable, and best of all, my pickle ball paddle didn't even get a scratch. Hopefully, the wreck didn't wreck my new found habit of bike riding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Danny, Wow! Grandpa says he's glad that you are okay AND that your paddle survived.

He does have one little suggestion. Bring a backpack next time.
Grandma and Grandma