Saturday, July 28, 2007

Garage No Sales

Our local neighborhood garage sales were today. My sister wanted me to take her to the sales, so we went around to all of them. When I got home, I had a great idea. I'll throw together some stuff I don't want, and sell them. So I rummaged through my room and the garage and got some stuff to sell. My parents got home and they too got into the garage sale mood. We had a love seat with an ottoman, a Nintendo 64, books, paintings, teapots, vases, some yard machines, sport cards, and other stuff. Around 12, I put out all the stuff and waited. I continued to wait. I sat in a chair and watched as people would pass by and not even stop. The occasional person would stop by and take a quick look around.

I could hardly take it. Dozens of people would do a drive-by, and none of them would stop. How can a person drive by and know whether the sale is good or not? And if you are not going to stop, don't make it quite so obvious. Don't pull into the driveway, look at the sale, and then leave without even getting out of the car. And then proceed down the street and stop at the neighbor's sale. It's demoralizing.

After three hours of the sale I had made $3.25. The neighborhood sales had ended. I was so tired, I didn't even want to bring the stuff in. 30 minutes after the sale, one last person stopped by. He tested out a edger on our grass, and decided to buy it. This brought the total day's sales to 10.75. I was happy until my dad looked up the price of the edger we had been given, but didn't need. They cost $100. Oh well.

I learned a good life lesson today. One, I hate garage sales. And two, you shouldn't be too quick to judge. It is easy to stereotype people and things, but with just a quick glance, what do you really know? They may be hidden treasures.

No comments: