Saturday, April 5, 2008

County Caucus

Today was the next stage in my caucus adventures. This was the county level caucus. I found this caucus to be a lot more interesting than the previous one. It was also a lot longer, it went from 9:00am to 3:30pm. There was a lunch break in the middle, it was a fairly good meal. I am not sure if it was $20 good, but I guess it is used as a fundraiser.

We spent the majority of the time agreeing on the Mason County Republican platform we wanted to adopt. If you had an objection with the platform, you could declare a plank. While I didn't understand all of the fancy terminology, I understood the basic ideas.

I stood up and said I had a problem with the wording and philosophy of one part. I then worked with some like minded people during a break. We had to rewrite what we wanted to change in the platform, and get 6 signatures of people from different precincts to get it on the floor. It was all a bit confusing, but you definitely must follow "the rules." There were time limits for how long issues could be on the floor, orders in which things had to be done, and of course everything had to be debated and voted upon. Every time we voted you had to stand up and have a manual count done of the people for and against.

We then spent the next several hours debating and voting on the issues (planks) people brought up. When it came to the section I had issue with, I thought I should share my opinion. Being one of the youngest people there, I thought I not only represented myself and my precinct, but a large number of young people. So I stood up in front of the group of 80 plus people and gave a short speech. When I was finished, the audience applauded. But when it came time to vote, only 14 people voted for the change, well short of the 49 needed. At least I tried, and had the courage to step out of my comfort zone and speak in front of a large group of people.

In the end, it was a great experience. I was apart of the great political process, and could see it in action. Not only that, but I had an equal voice in the democratic process. I decided not to go to the state level caucus. I wanted to, but I didn't think it would work out. It is quite a long ways from my house, during school, spread over three days, and costs money to go to. I didn't think I had the money or time to go. It would have been fun though, I guess there is always next time.

4 comments:

Randy Neatherlin said...

You were a credit to the room. I was impressed and easily recognized you as a futue leader. Stay with the beliefs you shared. Most of the room agrees with you but have a hard time with any type of change. Eventualy, people with solid arguments, (like yourself) do win. This is the same regardless of party or age. I was proud to be there with you. Call if I can help you in the future.
Randy Neatherlin (360) 731-3849

.justin said...

1. you aren't a "future leader". you are a leader now. i've heard this statement way too much in my profession: "our youth are the church of tomorrow". that is horrible theology. the church is made up of believers, regardless of their age. churches as a whole would do better to lend and ear and follow it up with actions to those in a "younger generation", much like yourself. politics aren't much different.

2. what was the issue? what was your suggested amendment? what was the final outcome?

3. what was the mason county republican presidential outcome? who got the most votes, in what order?

Danny said...

1. I took "future leader" as a compliment, but also hope to be a leader no matter my age.

2. The issue was the Mason County Republican Party platform's view on education. The platform read, "We believe the state has the right to set goals of the Educational System, but that the family retains the right to decide on the form used to reach these goals."

I said I didn't believe the state should set the goals, I thought the local community and school board should. One person in charge talked about how he wrote the platform taking everyone's views into consideration, and we were just knit picking the details. I stood up and said while he may have written it, I represented the nearly 400 SHS seniors this impacts the most. I said I didn't think the states current requirements were fair. And also that as Republicans we believe the best government is the one that governs least, and most effective government is that which is closest to the people.

After a debate from both sides, it was put up for vote. It needed 2/3 majority, or 49 people, to be changed. I think it got 14 votes, so it stayed the same.

3. We didn't discuss presidential candidates. I found this to be odd. We 'elected', more like volunteered, people to go to the state caucus. We did nothing with the presidential candidate/s.

Anonymous said...

It was a compliment. You did do a great job. I personally agreed with your thoughts. You used our Republican mantra perfectly and at the perfect time. I was not a delegate or I would have stood with you.

Your friends words sound great but in real life leadership has a definition. In that room and at that time they didn't let you lead. Your showed yourself as a future leader because I could see that some wanted to follow you. To be a leader they must follow. This is the same with animals. I used to be a cowboy. The horse you rode determined where you rode. A lead horse is ridden in front and all the others will follow. If you are on a simple mid status horse, a few might fall in behind you but most wont. These horses work fine for driving the others but not leading. Keep doing what you are doing. Stand up for what you believe and eventually others will be standing next to the leader I see.

I am no different from you except in time and experience.
Best of luck
Randy Neatherlin