Monday, April 13, 2009

Off to Luncheon

Today I left home after a nice long weekend with the family. Before heading back to school, I had a scholarship luncheon to attend in Seattle. After stopping by my father's school and saying goodbye to my little sister, I got a ride to the Bremerton ferry.

My mother, sister and I made a memory trying to find the ferry, each other, and have me catch the ferry all at the same time. Once in Seattle, in my I'm-going-to-a-luncheon garb, I had several taxi drivers ask if I needed a ride somewhere. That was something I wasn't used to.

Although it was a bit tempting to take a taxi just for the fun of it, I walked to the hotel it was being hosted at. I eventually figured out the directions I had were in reverse, but having a map was helpful. A literal block away, with the building in sight, I had to stop and ask some police officers for directions. The road to the hotel was under construction, and I thought they didn't want me to go on it. I asked them how to get to the hotel, I meant if I couldn't go down the block leading to it. I guess I could go down that block because they said I could and I did. It was a bit embarrassing to have to ask for directions when I was so close and literally in sight of the huge hotel.

Once inside, I didn't really know what I was supposed to do after I checked in. The luncheon was mainly for the Seattle business elites, and I really felt out of place. At the table, I didn't know what all the utensils were for, or even which ones were mine. The food was good. I really liked the dessert even though I have no clue what it was, all I know is that it was orange in color.

The governor gave a speech to the business elites about the health care system and green color jobs. The owner of the Mariners was in attendance and mentioned by just about all the speakers in some fashion. I wanted to meet him and overwhelm him with my Mariners knowledge so much so that he would had to give me some tickets, but I never had the chance. Overall, the luncheon was a unique and interesting experience even if I felt way out of place.

No comments: