Friday, January 30, 2009

Found Lost Lake

Today I decided to find Lost Lake. When I go trail running, I always pass a sign that reads "Lost Lake 4.1 miles", and today I decided it was time to try the trail to find the lake. It takes around 2.5 miles to get to the trail head for Lost Lake. I had no clue the trail to Lost Lake was going to be nearly all uphill. 4.1 miles doesn't seem to far, but it does when it is all uphill.

I passed a sign that said 2.4 miles to Lost Lake. I kept going, my legs hurt, another sign 1.9 miles to Lost Lake. Suddenly, I questioned whether I really needed to make it all the way to Lost Lake. Other, shorter alternative trails branching off sounded more and more appealing. I decided I had made it this far, so I may as well keep going.

The trail eventually hit snow level. Just when I thought that Lost Lake didn't exist, I saw what looked like a lake in front of the trail. The trail then disappeared. I had to head to the water on my own. I finally made it to the lake. It was larger than I expected, and also frozen over. I was trying to go out on some logs in the water so I could throw a log and break the ice, but my right foot slipped and went in the ice cold water. I now would have to run all the way back with a soaking wet foot.

I didn't have long to rest and gaze at Lost Lake's beauty, it was getting dark. I was a bit scared when I felt lost trying to refind the trail I had left to get to the Lake, but eventually it was found. It was really getting dark fast, and I was miles from civilization. It was downhill on the way back. It was basically a controlled sprint on the way down. I was worried I would loose my footing in the mud, slip on snow or ice, or trip over a rock, root, or branch. This could have potentially been very bad. Running down a hill, in the woods, in the dark, by yourself, tired, low on oxygen, with trip hazards all around is not definitely not something I would recommend.

I got scared when a dog came up behind me out of the woods, but it was only returning to its masters, who ironically, thought I was their dog coming up behind them on the trail. Thankfully, I managed to escape the forest unharmed, and made it back in time to get to dinner before closing. After finding Lost Lake, I may have to return to those shores, but remember to allow more time so I make it back before it gets dark and the trail creepy.

No comments: