Friday, September 12, 2008

Shots Taken and Not Taken

Today my father and I went on our once annual golf outing. It is almost always a spur of the moment thing, but we always go golfing at least once a year. I won't be home much longer, so he decided we would go today.

We don't play golf enough to be super good at it. That doesn't mean that we don't get a good shot every now and then. At first we were in a rush because there were people behind us and we didn't want to get in their way. It turns out, there was an army of golfers behind us, around 20 with at least 5 golf carts. At one point, this group was teeing off about 15 feet behind me while I was trying to get out of a sand trap. Golf balls were literally whizzing by my head at fast speeds. I was scared for my life.

I brought our camera so I could take some pictures. I handed the camera to my dad because I didn't have room for it in my golf bag. When I went to get the camera from his bag, we couldn't find it. We looked in every pocket, of which golf bags have quite a few. We took out all the clubs and shook the bag. Several items my father didn't even know he had fell out of the bag, but not a camera.

We asked other golfers and the manager at the club house if anyone had seen a camera. Nobody had. We shook down the bag one more time, but couldn't find the camera. We felt like leaving, the joy had been taken out of our trip. We decided to play a few more holes and forget about the camera and just have a good time.

The last three holes were some of the best either of us had ever played. I mean we made shots you would expect to see pros make. We had a great time, then we remembered the camera. During one last shakedown/beat down of the golf bag, the camera popped out. What followed was a joyous celebration after a strange, but memorable day of golf. Thanks Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good times,Dan. The good memories of the day will stay with me a long time. The camera incident is now just an interesting story, since all's well that ends well. Dad