Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Sugar Coated

Perhaps to alleviate the sadness of one Craigslist purchase falling through due to the sketchiness of the seller, I met with a much less sketchy seller to look at a coat today. This seller was also not very friendly. Both sketchiness and unkindness are seller traits that tend to lead me to decide against making a purchase. I guess I don't like wondering if I should be fearful that my life is in danger or feeling like somebody is being a jerk when I am trying to decide if I want to buy something.

I don't expect much from email communications with strangers. I don't need emojis or similar fluff. That said, I expect a small amount of kindness, especially when you are trying to get me to buy something from you. I think it is reasonable to dialogue about the item and the price. When I agree to meet at a time and location you picked out, I sort of expect you to show up on time since I am going to all of the work to cater to your schedule and demands. Life happens, so I am understanding when you email that you are running late. However, there is a certain word that starts with an s and rhymes with calamari I expect to see in the email. Maybe I am old-fashioned, but it just seems appropriate when you are inconveniencing another person.

All of that said, I wanted the coat, so I did end up buying it. Now it is keeping me warm while I write this post. Let's remember it is not just coats that warm people up. Extend kindness to strangers. There is no reason to be cold towards others.We are all in this together.

No comments: